Shepherd Bend Mine

Donate / Volunteer

Shepherd Bend Mine

 Update: click here for our statement on Drummond’s 6/19/15 announcement

Birmingham Water Works intake at Shepherd Bend

Shepherd Bend Mine Subpages:

Short Introduction

Take Action



Media Coverage (just a small sampling)

Videos & Photos

Press Releases

Summary Statement

Shepherd Bend Mine Opposition Coalition

To watch a 2-minute video summarizing the issue, click here.

Take Action

1. Please help us pressure the University of Alabama not to lease or sell their land and minerals for coal mining directly across the river from a water intake facility serving water to 200,000 citizens in the greater Birmingham area.  Contact UA leaders:

We encourage citizens to relay their concerns about the mine by phone to the UA System’s Chancellor, Mr. Ray Hayes: (205) 348-5861 and to UA’s President, Dr. Stuart Bell:  (205) 348-5100.

Concerned citizens should also email the UA System leaders: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected][email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]

We also encourage citizens, organizations, and businesses to write letters to UA System Trustees and to the UA System’s Chancellor, Mr. Ray Hayes and UA’s President, Dr. Stuart Bell:

Chancellor Ray Hayes
The University of Alabama System
500 University Blvd E.
Tuscaloosa, AL 35401-1551

Click here for a sample letter to Chancellor Hayes.

Dr. Stuart Bell
President, The University of Alabama
Box 870100
Tuscaloosa, AL 35487

2. Write letters to the editor of your local paper.

3. Contact your elected officials.

4. Sign the Petition on Shepherd Bend: Click here 


Share Button